Friday, April 16, 2010

The beginning

I have been taking a genealogy course at church for a year or so now. The teacher is amazing and I'm sure she was "Nancy Drew" in a former life. I've always loved hearing about my ancestors, and visiting historic places, old pictures, antiques that kind of stuff so I guess this was inevitable. My Dad is a history buff, maybe its in the "genes" so to speak :)

In the class we are encouraged to start with ourselves and then work back. Look through your "old" stuff, your parents "old stuff" and other relatives. My sister-in-law and I have been chasing down Carbonneaus for awhile and I found some stuff while Bobby and I were back east.
Another thing we're encouraged to do is interview our older relatives.

After looking through the "stuff I have, I called my daughter in law and we went to Yarnell to visit my Maternal Grandfather. He is the oldest living direct relative I have.

In the interview I realized I knew almost nothing about his family! Crazy! So after finding out that His grandfather, Knute Roundal, came from Norway, he was a farmer, sheep-shearer as well as a miner, and very strict Lutheran minister. The name is spelled Roundal, Raundal, Randall and I even found a Roundale!, it was time to jump into the Family history rink with both feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment